Saturday, December 17, 2011

Regrettable, but not terminal

The MN GOP had a bad couple of days. Certainly in the media.  While I have several thoughts about that I'm just going to share an anecdote which may reveal how i feel about these issues and whether they are or should be politically career-ending.

A few years back I had a business meeting with the former chair of the state DFL party. He had then recently lost a primary election for an open congressional seat.  I was struck by how bitter he was; and that he'd reveal that bitterness to someone he had just met.  He had terrible things to say about the man who ultimately won the race (and who still holds that seat).  He further complained that the Strib wouldn't cover many of this man's alleged transgressions, including an affair with a staffer and a police call to his house due to what he described as excessive child discipline.  I took from this man's statements, although he didn't come right out and say it, that his campaign had been trying to get the Strib to cover these issues.   (There were certain other issues which the STrib had to cover about this candidate because they were public record, and quite embarassing).

I had previously assumed from watching this congressional race that the Strib handled this candidate with kid gloves.  It was still surprising to hear this from withing the DFL party. 

This exchange confirmed my belief that the Strib plays favorites.  But it also taught me that political damage can often be overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment